All Tours of Holycross Abbey are cancelled at the moment due to Covid 19 Restrictions
Holycross Abbey Tour Guides are happy to announce that we have completed Fáilte Ireland’s Infection Prevention Control for Tourism Businesses course showing our commitment to providing our team and visitors with a safe experience. We are happy to announce that our tours of Holycross Abbey will continue but only when Restrictions are lifted and tours are pre-booked to ensure the safety of all and in compliance with government guidelines. Bookings can be made by contacting 0861665869, 050443124 or by emailing email@example.com. Please book at least 48 hours in advance to ensure availability.
For information or to book a group tour at any time throughout the year please phone
086-1665869 or 0504-43124 (office hours). Email: holycrossabbeytours@
Guided tours of the Abbey are also available every Wednesday and Sunday at 2.30pm, March to September inclusive. To book a tour outside of these times, please contact us.
Because the Abbey is our parish church tour times will be rescheduled to adapt to any religious events taking place in the Abbey. We accept donations of €5 (2020 rate).
Highlights of a Tour:
• The Ormond Relic of the True Cross and another authenticated relic are on display in the north transept.
• Marvel at the beauty of the Sedilia and the Waking Bier. They are the highpoint of Cistercian art in stone in Ireland.
• Be enchanted by the folk stories of ‘The Good Woman’s Son’ and ‘The Eight Hands”.
• The chancel and the north transept have the finest rib vaulting of the period.
• An old bell, called Michael, hangs in the tower and is reputedly the oldest church bell in
Ireland. It is almost 800 years old.
• Here too is the only intact medieval chapter house doorway in Ireland.
• We invite you to imagine the monks descending the original night stairs as they did centuries ago.
• The Abbey has the widest range of window patterns of any medieval building in Ireland.
• You might like to share a secret at the whispering arch.
• The arcading of the cloister is beautifully executed.
• The magnificent outdoor Stations of the Cross are to work of Enrico Manfrini, who also designed Pope Francis’ ring.
• There is plenty more here in stone, folklore, legend and history.