For further information or to book a group tour at any time please phone 086 1665869 or email email@example.com.
Tour times will change to adapt to any religious events taking place in the Abbey. We
accept donations of €4.
Highlights of a Tour:
• The Ormond Relic of the True Cross and another authenticated relic are on display in the north transept.
• Marvel at the beauty of the the Sedilia and the Waking Bier. They are the highpoint of Cistercian art in stone in Ireland.
• Be enchanted by the folk stories of ‘The Good Woman’s Son’ and ‘The Eight Hands”.
• The chancel and the north transept have the finest rib vaulting of the period.
• An old bell, called Michael, hangs in the tower and is reputedly the oldest church bell in
Ireland. It is almost 800 years old.
• Here too is the only intact medieval chapter house doorway in Ireland.
• We invite you to imagine the monks descending the original night stairs as they did centuries ago.
• The Abbey has the widest range of window patterns of any medieval building in Ireland.
• You might like to share a secret at the whispering arch.
• The arcading of the cloister is beautifully executed.
• The magnificent outdoor Stations of the Cross are to work of Enrico Manfrini, who also designed Pope Francis’ ring.
• There is plenty more here in stone, folklore, legend and history.
Phone: 086 – 1665869